Being moved to Universal Credit


A local expert from Citizen’s Advice provides timely tips on consumer issues.

Q: ‘I have been claiming housing benefit for several years but I recently received a letter from the government telling me that I have to make a claim for Universal Credit. What should I do?’

A: The following means-tested benefits are ending and are being replaced by a single means-tested benefit called Universal Credit:

  • Tax credits: Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

Benefits such as PIP and Attendance Allowance are not affected by this change.
The process is known as ‘managed migration’ and the letter you have received is called a ‘migration notice’. You’re not alone, most households claiming tax credits and no other means-tested benefit have already been contacted.
The government says that, over the coming year, it plans to issue migration notices as follows:

  • From April: Income Support claims and Tax Credits with Housing Benefit claims
  • From June: Housing Benefit only claims
  • From July: income-based Employment and Support Allowance with Child Tax Credit claims attached
  • From September: Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance claims

The government has also said that, from August onwards, it plans to contact people who are claiming tax credits but who are over state pension age to ask them to apply for either UC or Pension Credit (depending on the make-up of their household).
To continue receiving financial support you must claim Universal Credit by the deadline date given in your letter.
This is three months from the date the letter was sent out. You should make a claim online via the government website – you need to create an account to make a claim. You must complete your claim within 28 days of creating your account or you’ll have to start again.
If you cannot claim Universal Credit by the deadline date, you should contact the Universal Credit Migration Notice helpline on 0800 169 0328 as soon as possible. You may be able to get more time to make a claim if you have a good reason, but you must request this before the deadline date on your letter. There is lots more information about this process on the government website

If you need help to make a UC claim, contact the Citizens Advice Help to Claim Service either online here or by phone on 0800 144 8 444.

sponsored by Wessex Internet


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

More like this

First time renting tips

A local expert from Citizen’s Advice provides timely tips...

Village rallies to save historic school

In the heart of Winterborne Stickland, a village community...

Sherborne’s new Community Hub and café

Thanks to generous donations and support from many local...

Bonjour Thornford Primary!

Thornford Primary School played host to 59 French children...