We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated Events Assistant with a eye for detail to join our team at Gillingham and Shaftesbury Agricultural society
Gillingham and Shaftesbury show is one of the best agricultural shows in the South West of England attracting in the region of 25,000 visitors a year. The show celebrates British farming, acts as an educational and entertainments show, and a business networking event for the agricultural industry. In 2022, the society introduced a two day Spring Countryside show taking place over a weekend in late April. The show welcomes over 10,000 visitors and focuses on gardening, spring and being a family event.
The society also owns a subsidiary, Turnpike Events Limited, which operates commercial and trading facilities on the Turnpike Showground. The show ground hosts a wide range of events from April to October including dog shows and caravan rallies.
We are looking for a highly motivated, pro-active individual who possesses excellent communication and time management skills. The applicant must work well under pressure and have the ability to prioritise responsibilities and meet deadlines.
- Event Planning: You will be responsible as part of a team, for the comprehensive planning of two events per annum and the coordination of several others, working within budgets, coordinating with suppliers, and managing timelines to ensure all aspects of the event are on track. You will work closely with the grounds team and section leaders as well as contractors and trade stand holders.
- Stakeholder Management: Building and maintaining relationships with contractors, sponsors, trade stand holders and contractors is a key part of this role. You will be responsible for communicating key event information throughout the event life cycle.
- Materials Preparation: You will be responsible for preparing and distributing event materials, such as tickets, badges, agendas, and information packs, to ensure a smooth on-site experience for attendees, staff and contractors.
- Customer Service: Exceptional customer service is paramount whilst representing Gillingham & Shaftesbury Agricultural Society. You will handle enquiries and provide support before, during, and after events to ensure attendees and stewards have a positive experience.
- Financial Oversight: You will monitor and manage event budgets, negotiate and track expenditure.
- Post-Event Evaluation: After each event, you will assist in evaluating feedback, identifying areas for improvement, and compiling post-event reports.
- Staying Informed: Keeping up to date with industry trends and best practices is essential to enhance the quality of event experiences we offer.
The ideal candidate:
- Previous event management experience is preferred
- Have experience working with customers of all different levels of seniority
- Must have organisational experience at a professional level
- Must have outstanding communication skills
- Will be highly efficient and have an organised approach to your workload
- Will have the ability to work well under pressure and deal with high work volumes
- Will be able to adapt and change priorities according to immediate business needs
- Some knowledge of agriculture would be preferred
- Must be computer literate with Windows 11 & Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator would be of benefit
Flexible but anticipated 8 – 28 hours per week depending on time of year. An approximate guideline to the hours required per week is as follows:
Jan – 10 hours | Feb – 14 hours | March – 21 hours | April – 28 hours
May – 21 hours | June – 14 hours | July – 21 hours | August – 28 hours
September – 21 hours | October – 8 hours | November – 8 hours | December – 8 hours
Please apply with covering letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line Events Assistant – Your Name
Closing date: 21st November
Interviews from 4th December with a view of the successful candidate starting in early 2024
Salary: £13,260 (£28,900 pro rata)